Blood Orange Gastrique
A gastrique is typically a combination of sugar and vinegar and it is used to add flavour to many dishes. This is a basic recipe but a gastrique is something that you can experiment with. There’s more fruits you can add to it, if you like. The blood orange gastrique variation is a very delicious and simple recipe. This is a nice dish that looks really good, like an orchestra of blood oranges that dances with vinegar.
The essential ingredients for this recipe are, of course, blood oranges. Without blood oranges in the vicinity you cannot complete this great blood orange gastrique, or any other gastrique that includes blood oranges for that matter, so get the vampiric oranges before you start anything. This is a very simple recipe with much room for creativity. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the blood orange gastrique:
- 10 minutes to prepare
- Difficulty: Easy
- If you’re really feeling creative, use red wine vinegar instead.
- 1 cup of sugar
- A half a cup of vinegar. Some people recommend rice wine vinegar. Others swear by white wine vinegar.
- 1 cup of blood orange juice. This is about three oranges, depending on their size. You can also use Italian Volcano Blood Orange Juice.
- Using a saucepan, mix the vinegar, blood orange juice and sugar and boil it.
- Cook until the combination has become thick.
- Stop boiling and put the result into a bowl.
- Let it cool for some time.